A new program for Richmond’s startup founders to establish and grow a thriving business. This program is to provide startups a launch pad for a profitable business that meets individual income needs. The program includes important benefits:
- 17 weeks of proven instruction methods from WIBO covering the aspects of business planning and launch;
- Access to mentors for one-on-one coaching and introductions to professional colleagues;
- Networking events to meet other business founders and prospective customers;
- Promotional benefits associated with RVA Works alumni status; and
- Ongoing alumni events for continuing education.
- 79 students have entered the Startup Works program, with 65% coming from lower income households and 95% are women- or minority-owned startups
- 54 founders have graduated
- 67% are actively operating their business
The Curriculum from WIBO – 50 Years of Startup Success!
We use the WIBO curriculum, developed in New York in 1966. Now in it’s 17th edition, this course work has been used to train almost 18,000 startup founders. 54% of WIBO graduates are in business after five years, compared to the 20% national average. 42% of businesses saw a revenue increase after completing the training, and 50% of WIBO participants report that their business is their sole source of income. The curriculum includes:
- Personal Branding & Communications (non WIBO introduction)
- Basic Requirements & Getting the Facts
- Identifying Your Target Market
- Promoting Your Business – Marketing
- Searching for Customers
- Helping People Buy – Sales
- Making a Profit – Pricing Strategy
- Making a Profit – Costs
- Making a Profit – Financial Decisions
- Presenting Your Business for Financing
- Making a Profit – Purchasing
- Financing Business Growth – Cash Flow & Credit
- Investing in People – Human Resources
- Using Other People’s Money– Financing
- Controlling Finances – Recordkeeping & Taxes
- Business Ethics and the Law
- Personal Finance & Independence
This program is for highly motivated individuals who possess the creativity and perseverance required to succeed in business. There are no educational or professional prerequisites for the program. It is open to anyone that is interested in starting a new business. Participants should expect to spend 15 – 20 hours per week on business planning activities.
The cost of the WIBO tuition is the only expense charged to participants. Tuition is $350 with further discounts for individuals with an income under $50,000.
- Income below $50,000 – Tuition is $250
- Income below $30,000 – Tuition is $150
- Income below $20,000 – Tuition is $100
To qualify applicants must bring the prior year’s tax return to the interview, as proof of the income level.
Where and When
Classes meet at St. Paul’s Baptist Church, 700 East Belt Boulevard, Richmond, VA 23224. Classes are held from 6pm – 9pm on Thursday evenings, from September – December and from May – August. Individual cohort schedules are made available upon acceptance to the program.
For More Information & To Apply
To apply, please print, complete and return the application to Robin Lancaster, Program Director ([email protected]). The application form is included here, along with an information sheet: